Church History - All Saints
In the year 1887, the Reverend Patrick Donahue, pastor of Saint Patrick's Church in Thompsonville purchased one acre of land in Somersville, Connecticut for a Catholic Church. The purchases price was four hundred dollars.
On August 29, 1887, Father Donahue purchased the old Congregational Church in Somersville from the Somersville Manufacturing company for five hundred dollars.
All Saints Corporation
On December 22, 1888 corporation papers were submitted to the Secretary of State's office in Connecticut under the name of All Saints Church. Bishop Lawrence McMahon, Hartford Dioceses, James Hughes, Vicar-General Hartford Dioceses, Reverend John Synnott Pastor of Saint Bernard's Church, Michael Buckley and Juleo Morin Trustees signed this document. On December 26, 1888, said papers were received and filed.
The first Mass in All Saints Mission Church was celebrated on March 31, 1888 by Father John Synnott. This is where we began as a Parish Family. This is where our story begins. Father Synnott labored for many years traveling from Hazardville to Somersville by horse to celebrate Mass, hear confessions and raise funds for a new church. At the time of his arrival there were 325 souls in the mission church. These 325 souls were the roots of our church. These were the people who, even with low incomes, built All Saints Church. Not just the building, but the spirit.
All Saints Church Corner StoneCorner Stone
Bishop Tierney laid the corner stone for the new church on July 18, 1897.
On Sunday January 16, 1898 Bishop Tierney dedicated the new All Saints Church and administered confirmation.