No Mass on Thursdays.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am
ST. EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, STAFFORD
The Parish Family of St. Edward The Confessor, a Roman Catholic faith community, strives to be the living expression of Christian faith in our worship and in our community by welcoming all who seek to enrich their relationship with our one true God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
FROM THE PASTOR'S DESK
SCAM - If you are contacted to obtain gift cards to benefit cancer patients in the hospital and use Father Peter's name, PLEASE DO NOT COMPLY. This is a scam going throughout our Parish and the Norwich Diocese.
REBUILD AND RENEW - Thank you for your prayerful attention during our financial report last weekend. In the coming weeks we ask that you . . .
- Pray for our parish as we go through this time of rebuilding and renewing.
- As a family or individual, prayerfully consider what you can do to raise the level of your financial commitment to our parish on a weekly basis and to supporting the drive to restore the front windows.
- Get involved in a parish organization or by assisting when help is needed or attending parish activities.
Working together as a parish family, each doing the best they can, we can do the rebuilding and renewing that will sustain us and help us to continue to be a faith-filled, caring parish community well into the future.
EUCHARISTIC ADORATION - Join us for Eucharistic Adoration on Sunday evenings from 6:00-7:00 p.m. We invite you to come and spend some quiet time with the Lord each Sunday to prepare you for the coming week. An additional Holy Hour has been added on Tuesday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
LADIES GUILD POLISH DINNER - This popular event will be held on Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall. Cost is $14 per person. Tickets are available by calling Pat at 860-684-9419 or at the Parish Office, 860-684-2705. No tickets will be sold at the door.
OFFICE CONTACTS AND HOURS
Phone - 860-684-2705
Monday thru Friday - 8:00 to 1:00 and 2:00 to 4:00
Email: [email protected]
CHURCH OFFICE has moved to its new location at 27 Church Street in the hall.
THE PARISH OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11 AND MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2019.
ALTAR SERVER TRAINING - We will begin training for new altar servers this month. We are looking for young people, grade 3 or above and who have made their First Communion, to volunteer to perform this very important ministry. The first training will be on Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. in the Church. Please call the Parish Office at 860-684-2705 to signup your child. Thank you!
CHURCH CHOIRS - Come join our choirs this year!
- Physical qualifications: Able to carry musical notes across the church. Able to see director 10 feet away.
- Experience: Only persons who sing in the car or in the shower accepted.
- Wages and Benefits: Higher than normal "social" security. And the opportunity to share your talents as a valued member of our Music Ministry.
- Hours of Work: Monday rehearsals 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. starting Monday, September 30. Attendance at weekly choir masses and special celebrations.
- Funeral Choir Members Needed too We are also looking for volunteer to sing at our funeral liturgies.
- Cantors Candidates Are Always Welcome Training is free!
For Information about these GREAT opportunities: Call Lida Miller at 860-684-9194 or email at [email protected]
ST. EDWARD PRAYER AND PLAYGROUP (Sponsored by the St. Edward Faith Formation Program)- Most Fridays from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. (see weekly bulletin for dates) in the Church Hall. Moms, of all ages, and especially Moms of children at home (babies, tots, preschoolers, and homeschooled of all ages) are invited to a Prayer and Play Group. Children can plan while Moms pray with one another, maybe read a book together, or do a rosary. Rain, snow or shine, children can play in the Church Hall gym, the upper parking lot and playground. Come when you can! (Child still napping? Feel free to bring a pack n play, the Hall meeting room will be set aside for napping tots.)
RCIA - The RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) Program has begun meeting.. Are you or someone you know seeking to know Jesus better and become a full member of his Church? Looking to explore or have questions about what this means? Then RCIA is for you. If you or someone you know is interested in RCIA, please contact Corinne Lorenzet ([email protected] or 860-684-2666) or call the Parish Office. .
FAITH FORMATION - On October 6th, instead of regular classes, we will have our first Faith Formation family event. All registered families are asked to attend: bring the whole family! All Church parishioners are welcome to attend. We will say a Rosary together, talk about the prayers included in a Rosary and why we should be saying the Rosary as a family regularly..
You can reach us at the email address: [email protected] Thank you. Please keep the St. Edward Faith Formation Program in your prayers.
BIBLE STUDY - The Bible Study meets on Thursdays at 6:30 in the Parish Hall. We watch videos and then review questions from a workbook. Everyone is welcome, even if you just want to drop in and see what we are studying. Contact Andrea Broer at: [email protected]
CHILDREN'S LITURGY PROGRAM - If your child is interested in participating in the Children's Mass, please contact Melanie Frye at 860-643-8195.
DIOCESE OF NORWICH
FAITH SPARKS is a new column in the Four County Catholic newspaper. Last month's column was about everyday blessings, encouraging us to recognize the many blessings in our lives. To read this article and find more prayers, visit: NorwichDiocese.org/FaithSparks
MISSION COMBINED COLLECTION will be held the wekend of October 12 and 13, 2019. Thie Mission Combined Collection Program is not affiliated with the Annual Catholic Appeal. The Mission Combined Collection covers the World Mission Appeal, the Appeal for Latin America, the Black and Indian Appeal and Catholic Home Missions Appeal.
ANNIVERSARY MASS - All couples married 25 and 50 years or celebrating any significant anniversary year are invited to attend a Silver and Gold Jubilee Anniversary Mass at the Cathedral of St. Patrick in Norwich on Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. Come and renew your commitment to live your marriage in holiness in a Pontifical Mass celebrated by Bishop Michael R. Cote. Family and friends are invited to share in this special testimony and witness to love and marriage. Dessert and beverages will be served following the Mass in the Cathedral Hall. Register through your parish by Friday, October 11. For more information, call Mary-Jo McLaughlin at the Catholic Family Services Office, 860-848-2237 ext. 312.
Readings for the week of October 13, 2019
- Sunday: 2 Kgs 5:14-17 / Ps 98:1, 2-3, 3-4 [cf. 2b] / 2 Tm 2:8-13 / Lk 17:11-19
- Monday: Rom 1:1-7 / Ps 98:1, 2-3ab, 3cd-4 [2a] / Lk 11:29-32
- Tuesday: Rom 1:16-25 / Ps 19:2-3, 4-5 [2a] / Lk 11:37-41
- Wednesday: Rom 2:1-11 / Ps 62:2-3, 6-7, 9 [13b] / Lk 11:42-46
- Thursday: Rom 3:21-30 / Ps 130:1b-2, 3-4, 5-6ab  / Lk 11:47-54
- Friday: 2 Tm 4:10-17b / Ps 145:10-11, 12-13, 17-18  / Lk 10:1-9
- Saturday: Rom 4:13, 16-18 / Ps 105:6-7, 8-9, 42-43 [8a] / Lk 12:8-12
- Next Sunday: Ex 17:8-13 / Ps 121:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 [cf. 2] / 2 Tm 3:14—4:2 / Lk 18:1-8